Sunday, September 2, 2007

quick question. . . .

I read somewhere that the ancient Jewish formulation of the Golden Rule in the negative - that is: "Don't do unto others what you would hate them to do to you" - is the functional equivalent of Jesus' subsequent formulation: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I don't think so.

I think there's quite a difference between having to go do things - give that backrub, pick up that check, make that phone call, put those dishes away - and not having to do certain other things: don't take the guy's wallet, don't run over that barking poodle, no stabbing or other mayhem, don't start a vicious rumour, that sort of thing.

Ah, there it is! One requires me to go do "good" things, the other requires me not to do "bad" things.

So - does not doing "bad" things make me a "good" person?

How about not doing "good" things? Bad person?

A little help out there - what do you think?

No comments: