Tuesday, January 1, 2008

what I learned. . . .

We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it -- and stop there -- lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again, and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one any more.
Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Actually overheard: "Oh I never read anymore. I had to read so much during the war [note: that would be the Second World War. . . .] that I said to myself when it was over that I would never read again."

This, from an 83 year old woman whose husband died a year ago. Her chief complaints? She's lonely (1); she's bored (2). But hey, she had a bad experience reading over 60 years ago so she's never gone back.

I don't understand.

Then again, there are probably equally ridiculous "lessons" I have taken to heart for myself, never questioning the ridiculousness of conclusion I have adopted from the experience I went through. I just don't see them. Or not yet, anyway. . . .

5 comments:

Lee Anne said...

How sad for her!

On a related yet lighter note, I recently discovered that I love sweet potatoes and cooked carrots -- two things I have spent my whole life avoiding. Yum. Off to contemplate all the ways to cook sweet potatoes from south Georgia.

prophet said...

I have a killer recipe for a sweet potato crumble that reads alarmingly like the beginning of a chocolate chip cookie recipe - minus the chocolate chips! (come to think of it. . . . I have an incredible recipe for a 'carrot puff' that is almost identical. . . . hmmmm. . . . accident? I think not)

Will I send them to you? Nah. Better you should revel in the healthy and wholesome south Georgia recipes!

Happy contemplations.

dlyn said...

Wandered over here from PW's blog - yours is great and I will be back here to read some more!

Anonymous said...

hello prophet. i don't know you, and i'm afraid what i'm about to say is going to come off as a bit creepy, but i mean no harm! i happened upon your site by googling postsecret, and thus read your entry about said topic. i was then so captivated by your writing and opinions that i continued reading other entries, leaving me feeling guilty about reading your blog when i have no idea who you are. anyway, your thoughts and writing are very interesting and entertaining.

in case you care (or maybe in order to make myself seem like an actual person..), my name is danya and i live in minneapolis, minnesoata. i thank you for unknowingly sharing your site with me, it has brightened my day. again, my intentions are purely friendly!

Lemon Stand said...

I think we all have things that we don't really think about too closely because then we'd have to admit, we're being silly. At least I do.

Here's hoping you have a wonderful year!