Monday, January 21, 2008

signs of life. . . .

I don't know why, but this post over at Garden Rant really cheered me up.

It's about a couple of birds that live inside the Denver International Airport. The article begins:
It's hard to describe the effect that three or four little birds can have on a group of bored, numbed-out, jet-lagged passengers.
It also features a poem. Which is pretty insightful, if jaded.

I guess I'm feeling a bit jaded today.

I'm not alone, it seems. A bunch of my writer-friends have posted 'I'm-down' posts. I don't know that I'm actually down, just a bit melancholy and thoughtful.

What I liked about the post is the reminder of how precious life is. And how delightful watching an ordinary sparrow looking for a meal can be. Even if it's just for a moment. Looks like I might go bird-watching today. . . .



PS - Brian Williams reported that this particular Monday in January is being called "Blue Monday" - historically showing a very high [the highest?] rate of suicides of any other day. . . . Here's the article Brian's story was based on.

No comments: