Thursday, November 29, 2007

that'll leave a mark!


I bruise easily.

Always have.

The thing that has always amazed me is to discover a huge, angry contusion and to realize I have no recollection at all of how I might have gotten it.

I found one on my knee yesterday, cast about in my mind for a vague memory of pain and bumping into something, but no-go. I have no clue as to how or when I got it.

Last night I smacked the other knee on the bedside table getting in - or out - of bed at one point before lights out. I made a mental note, OK. That'll leave a mark . . . . now remember that this is where you got it!

But you know what? By the time I find it, a few days hence, I will have forgotten. So I thought I'd write it down. And then I thought that in a way that's what prophets do. They look around them and say of what's going on: "That'll leave a mark! Best not do that anymore. Mark my words."

So that those around them won't look at the bruise some days, weeks, years hence and exclaim: "Wow. Where'd THAT come from?!"

No comments: