Tuesday, November 6, 2007

at loose ends

I don't know what to do with myself.

What a strange feeling!

Yes, there are lots of things to do. Laundry. Food shopping. Put all books away - or, rather, back on my shelf/box/library system - so I can re-negotiate my studio space. Start thinking through Thanksgiving, December birthdays, and Christmas issues. Start re-connecting with neglected friends. Resume knitting. Think up Christmas gift projects. Email new friend from Florida. I could go on and on.

But no. Instead, I sit here, in front of my computer, because that's been my life for the last however many months. Years really! Truth be told.

(Ah. Also: take computer to Mac-store for repairs. . . . Maybe THAT will get me away from the computer.

I also need to re-focus on the 'what's-next' bit of my life. Yes, stay up with the dissertation (meaning to prepare for the viva voce) but also be prepared to take the next step. WHICH IS???

That's the question.

Meanwhile, the king is crazed because work is frazzled, the house stake-out is delayed because our architect apparently didn't include all the relevant dimensions on the plan to suit the surveyor (even though the county seemed to find it acceptable and don't talk to me about the county requirements. . . .), oh - and the engineers bill arrived, speaking of ridiculous county requirements.

I think my job is to pursue peace. Yeah. I was going to say more, but realized that that was it.

Pursue peace. ["full stop", as they say in Ireland. Which took me some years to realize was meant to refer to punctuation, namely: "period"]

Off I go, then!

1 comment:

Lee Anne said...

Pursuing peace sounds like just the thing. Enjoy this time -- you deserve it!