Thursday, August 23, 2007

WAY too serious


It's hard not to be serious when you've got a deadline of a mountain by the end of the week and your dissertation topic involves not only law, but also philosophy and theology and uses words like deontology and teleology as major players in the thesis.

Words most people probably don't know - hell, I didn't know 'em till about 5 years ago! - and it took me a good 3 years before I didn't have to stop and think before being able to use either one of them with any degree of certainty. I still get insecure about it, sometimes.

CONFESSION: when a lawyer says "Objection, your Honor!" and the Judge says "Sustained." or even "Overruled." I still have to stop and figure out whether that means the witness can answer the question or the piece of evidence is admitted.

It's like double negatives. Sort of. "I didn't NOT write" still doesn't mean that I wrote. . . .

See what I mean?! WAY too serious. . . .

I have no sense of humour any more. I can't remember a single joke - ok, maybe one, but it's not funny - I do remember laughing almost to the point of tears with my husband this weekend, but it was over nothing and I think it was more just a release than anything else! Himself got to laughing because I was laughing and it fed on itself. That, and the random phrases thrown in that were either funny or hysterically not-funny.

"Why are you laughing?!" he. . . he. . . he. . . .

"I don't know - why are YOU laughing!!!" HEHEHEHE. . . .HE!

"That's so funny. . . . .!!!! You . . . . ha!. . . ha!. . . ha!. . . ."

Felt good.

For today - the mountain ignored yesterday is threatening to crash on me today. But maybe I can see the humour in waiting till the last week and a half now in which to think to wrap up a doctoral dissertation. And write two of the chapters?! And start a blog to blow off steam. And stay up half the night reading other blogs instead either working or getting some sleep.

Surely there's something funny in all that?

I didn't think so either.

No comments: