Thursday, August 30, 2007

some days are better than others


I heard once that a good day is any day you've learned something.

Today is a good day. A great day, even, if you think that: "If learning one thing is good, learning 2 things must be better!"

(But I've learned that learning two things is NOT better. And learning twenty things is even worse. . . .)

Here's what I learned:

"It's a mistake to think that writing is about putting down words on paper. Writing is about thinking." *

Well then. That's enough to take my breath away today! Now back to getting the evidence of all my work these past five years put down on paper. . . . sigh.

I'm trying NOT to think about how stupid everyone thought my first story submission was. I just found out that no one likes hot pink parchment paper, and the raffia was not a good idea.

As for the calligraphy. . . . well, the less said about that, the better.


*Peter Rubie, "It has to be Cutting-Edge Work" in Making the Perfect Pitch, Katherine Sands, ed., (The Writer Books, 2004).

No comments: