Tuesday, December 4, 2007

another word of advice. . .

My mother was on a cruise not too long ago while I was in the throes of final dissertation madness. [No, I didn't resent it. . . . not much. Ok, maybe a little. . . .]

Anyway, on that cruise, she happened to meet an Oxford don - as she insisted on calling him - a lovely, dapper man from Oxford, who sent me this advice about finishing my dissertation:
It's not as hard as you think.
I can't tell you the comfort I derived from those words.

I don't know this man, but I salute him. And I give fair warning: If I ever meet you, I will kiss you!

2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Those are the seven loveliest words in the English language.

prophet said...

Aren't they? I can't tell you how much they helped. I kept coming back to them. Over - and over - again.

I bequeath them to you, m'dear! (Although I'll still need them through the viva voce. . . .)